“If you have a talent or skill that makes you happy, use it to help your neighborhood. And if you feel a desire to do more, then go all out. You’ll have plenty of time to rest when you’re in the grave. Live a risky life and a spicy life and like Eleanor Roosevelt said, every day do something that scares you.”
As a bodybuilder, I was incredibly excited to read this book. I expected to learn how Arnold became such an inspiration that he jump-started the bodybuilding industry, but what I found was far beyond my expectations. After reading this book, I felt like I had just sat down with Arnold and listened to him tell me exactly how he became so successful.
With 30 chapters and 618 pages, Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story is packed with inspiring stories, and they all have a touch of humor to them. From growing up in Austria, to the effect that his affair had on his family, Arnold wrote about everything that has happened in his life.
In the beginning of the book, Arnold talks about what it was like in Austria. He talks about his family, and how terrifying the Cold War was for him. He then describes how working out changed his life, and that, by the age of 16, he was winning weightlifting competitions. That was when he realized that bodybuilding was his ticket into America.
As much as I would love to go on and on about this book, I will not summarize Arnold’s summary of his life, but I will tell you the most important things that I took away from it:
- There are no shortcuts. If you want something, you have to earn it.
- Every hour is precious, and there are 24 in a day. If you think that you are too busy, add up all of the hours that you spend doing something useful. Chances are that you have been wasting a lot of your 24 hours.
- A well-placed joke can get you out of a tight spot, or ignite the beginning of a great friendship.
- Stay hungry. Be motivated to accomplish your goals and keep going even further once you have accomplished them.
- You will be more satisfied by improving someone else’s life than you ever will be by caring only about yourself.
Arnold has done so much in his life, and, for that reason, he has something to teach everybody. If there is only one book that you buy from my website, it should be Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story by Arnold Schwarzenegger.
If you enjoyed reading this review, please like and/or share it. You have no idea how much it helps me.